What Can You Do Until Help Arrives After a Fire in Your American Fork Home?
What you can do until help arrives after a Fire in your American Fork home
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety:
Is it safe to stay in the house? In most cases it is not safe to stay in the house. Get your self and your family out and stay out until you have permission from the local fire department to re-enter the home. There could be unseen damage and danger lurking around the corner.
Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns. After electrical equipment is exposed to water it can become extremely hazardous if re-energized. You might also be surprised to hear that electrical equipment exposed to the smoke/soot is equally hazardous.
Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful! You may think it is a good idea to start to clean up but wet materials are extremely heavy and you can injure yourself very easily.
Have A Fire or Smoke Damage Emergency?
Call SERVPRO of North Utah County 801-785-5228
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO of North Utah County.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.