If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (801) 785-5228

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Space Heater Safety in Your Saratoga Springs Home

1/13/2023 (Permalink)

Anyone who has paid the bill to heat their home in the winter knows the woes and expenses associated with staying warm.  In return, this is why so many people turn to their trusty space heater but is your space heater “trusty”?  Did you know upwards of 25,000 house fires and 300 deaths are attributed to space heaters each year?  Follow these tips to keep warm and most importantly protect your family and home this winter. 

  • NEVER leave a space heater unattended.  Turn it off when you are leaving a room or going to sleep
  • Proper placement of your space heater is crucial!  Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that is flammable or can burn. This includes curtains, bedding, clothes, papers, etc.
  • Select the appropriate space heater for the size of your room.  If you are placing the heater in a bedroom or smaller area you only need a heater rated for your space.  On the other hand, if you are heating a large area don’t expect to buy a smaller rated heater to heat the entire space. That leads to overuse and can cause the smaller heater to malfunction.
  • Keep children and pets away from the space heater.  This may sound obvious but many fires are caused by the heater getting covered or tipped into something flammable.
  • Place your heater on a hard, flat surface.  Most heaters have an auto-shutoff trigger on the bottom but it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • As a rule of thumb plug directly into an outlet.  Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire.
  • Keep space heaters away from water.  Refrain from running a space heater in a bathroom or humid room unless you have a bathroom safe model (which will be specified on the box at time of purchase)

Use common sense and be careful so you don’t become one of the 25,000 fires yearly caused by a space heater.

If you do experience a fire or anything else call SERVPRO of Utah County. As Fire and Water Damage Specialists, we have the experience, expertise, and advanced training that enables us to get your property restored quickly and thoroughly.

Other News

View Recent Posts